If you’ve recently started using steroids or you have been looking into the idea of using them to turbocharge your workout and see better gains, then you may have heard about steroid half life.
But what is testosterone half life exactly? And why does it even really matter? In this article, you’ll get the key facts to help you better understand what all the talk is about and why you need to care about it.
What is Half Life
Half life is a scientific term that refers to the amount of time it takes for a given amount of a chemical (or other substance) to decay to half of its starting value. It is a measurement used in chemistry, physics and other fields.
In the world of steroids, it is used in the same way. So let’s say you buy a vial of testosterone enanthate that claims to be 100% (maximum potency). The testosterone enanthate half life would be the amount of time it takes for that substance to reduce to 50% (half of its original value).
Why Does the Half Life of Testosterone Matter
Ok, so the concept is simple enough but why do you need to care about it? Well, knowing the half life helps you know not only when the product you bought will expire but how potent it is. The longer you have a vial of, say, testosterone propionate without using it, the less effective it will become.
The reasons half lives matter include:
- Understanding the half life of the steroids helps you use them more safely. You may accidentally over or under dose yourself which can disrupt the balance of hormones in your body.
- Understanding your own testosterone levels. Once you inject or ingest a steroid, it is incorporated into your system. If you were to take a second dose immediately after, you would risk overdosing. That’s why spacing your doses far enough apart is so important. And you can’t understand how far apart you need to space doses unless you understand how long it’s going to take for that first dose to break down completely. And that’s where half life comes in.
- Finding effective steroids. Steroids (like any other substance) will naturally breakdown even while it’s still in the vial. If you buy an older product that’s been sitting around for a while, there’s a chance that it has already deteriorated and become totally impotent or inactive (or only has a fraction of its claimed potency).
So there are a lot of important reasons to know more about the precise half life of whichever steroid you are planning to use.
What Are Rhe Half Lives of Common Steroids
Different steroids have different half lives because they are affected by different factors:
- How it’s administered. Namely, do you swallow it, inject it, or absorb through the skin (using a patch, lotion, or gel)? Pills and tablets have the shortest half lives meaning they lose potency the quickest and will break down the fastest in your system. Injections have some of the longest half lives.
- This is a strange sounding word that refers to a microscopic chemical process. We don’t need to go into too much detail about the chemical process but it’s a process of preservation. Essentially, if the active steroid has been esterified, it’s half life has been extended because it makes it more difficult to break down. The more esterification it has undergone, the longer it will last.
- Resistance to metabolism. Your body’s metabolism will eventually break down all steroids. But some are more resistant than others so your metabolism has to work harder and it takes longer. So the more resistant to your metabolism a steroid is, the longer its half life is because it will survive longer in your body.
With these factors in mind, let’s take a look at a few examples of actual half lives of various common steroids (in injection form):
- Testosterone Cypionate Half Life: 12 days
- Testosterone Enanthate Half Life: 10.5 days
- Testosterone Propionate Half Life: 4.5 days
- Testosterone Decanoate Half Life: 15 days
- Testosterone Esters Half Life: 1.5 to 16.5 days (depending on the specific form).
As you can see, the half life can vary pretty widely across different steroids. And when you start including pills and tablets, half lives can shrink to as short as a few hours. This is why it’s so important to know the half life of your steroid before you schedule your doses so that they are spaced the exact right time apart.
As if buying steroids wasn’t complicated enough, you now have to worry not only whether or not what you’re buying is real but whether or not it is still even potent! This can make the initial shopping stage a huge stress.
But that’s yet another reason why finding a reliable and legit steroid site is so, so important. A legitimate source will provide you with pure AND potent steroids so that you are actually getting your money’s worth.
And that’s all the more motivation to stay 100% loyal to a reliable steroid source once you find it. As hard as it is to actually find them, it is worth all of that effort in the end because you can be totally assured that what you are buying is what it claims to be and is exactly as potent as it claims to be.